Wednesday, September 23, 2015

9-20, In Search of Aspen

This is not my first rodeo.... as I kept telling my husband this day.  I don't know why that particular phrase stuck in my head, but it did.  This was not the first year we set out to capture the fall foliage in the Colorado Mountains.  At least this year, I feel we came somewhat closer (last year we ended up at a glacier-- as you may have guessed, glaciers are higher than the aspen tree line.....).  No glaciers this year, but still not that quintessential Colorado aspen image either.  We think we got a pretty early start in our aspen quest, but as I look at my calendar for the weekends in October I'm feeling a little pressed for time to fulfill my search.  Exploring is fun, but already having the knowledge can sometimes be better.  Which region are the leaves at their prime now?  What off-the beaten path or road can the aspen best be viewed?  Our internet searches came up short for this last weekend.  We're closer, but not there yet.  Oh, aspen, we will find you--- but will it be this year?!


All those scouting days hanging out with my dad as a child have paid off.  Look what I spied!

We found aspen in the varying phases of color, some just about to turn and others already past their prime.  This one was glowing fireball. 
There is just something about the molecular content of the air at 9,000 feet that yields a deep, rich blue sky. 


Don't forget the polarizer for your lens if you're in search of the aspen, too.  Rotating the polarizer affects the sun's rays and increases the saturation of blue in the skies and cuts the glare off the leaves.  


No comments:

Post a Comment