Thursday, September 3, 2015

7-18, Skalkaho Schoolhouse

My grandpa has been gone now for quite a few years.  Every year my birthday is bittersweet because we shared the same birthday.  On a recent visit back home this summer, my grandma informed me about the school my grandpa had attended 'back in the day'.  I'd driven by this schoolhouse many times, but I never realized my grandpa used to go there.  It was like a little gift from above that my grandma had mentioned this little tidbit of history to me.  So, we went on a field trip TO the school!   I'll leave out all the little details about the locked gate, etc, (LOL.....) and reveal this step back in time.  Sneaking up the drive and exploring this old schoolhouse was amazing.  To think of my grandfather, as a young boy, playing around the trees and running up the steps gave me a chill.  I also had to laugh when my grandma reminisced about playing around the May pole when she, too, was young (though she didn't attend school there).  Simple memories from the aging can be tremendous gifts to the younger generations.  None of us would be where we are today without the steps they took before us.





No comments:

Post a Comment