Thursday, May 29, 2014

5-23, Capulin Volcano

I grew up in southwestern Montana.  Beautiful country to me was the valley where I was born and raised.  Finding, after many years and many moves later, that there really is no place like home, I have had to broaden my view of what I think of as 'beautiful'.  When you're in Denver (where we now call home) and look west, the mountains are beautiful.  When you're in Denver and you look east.....well, I'm still struggling to see the beauty in that.  We first discovered Capulin, New Mexico, on a road trip on our way from Texas to Colorado.  The volcano rising up out of the flatlands was very intriguing and strikingly out of place.  We have been back to visit two times since.  It's far from my classic definition of beautiful, but how can one not be in awe of something so grand as a volcano?!  


Capulin Volcano

I felt in touch with my roots watching the cows meander the fields.  I love the spring and all the new 'baby cows'.  You know you're just about in the middle of nowhere when the cows run the rules of the road and not the cars!

"Friendly Calves"

"Don't Mess with the Bull"

We found a very neat, old cemetery along the way.  I took many photos of headstones, but didn't feel it was right to include them in my gallery.  I'll save them as personal reminders that like can be all too short, and if we're lucky, long and fulfilled.  I found a few interesting details to capture and include instead.

"New Mexico Paintbrush"

"Fauxbluelous"

"Gatekeeper's Memories"

"Gateway to the Mountains"

"Time in a Bottle"

The view from the top of Capulin.

"Capulin in Bloom"

"Volcanic Vista"

"Rocky Mountain High" 

I have a 'thing' for 'naked trees'.  Here I got lucky with a group of three!

"Naked Trio"

No comments:

Post a Comment