Friday, May 2, 2014

5-2, "Be Focused"

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately (ok, when am I not doing a lot of thinking?!).  What is my style?  Where should I focus my energies?  Where should I draw the line and leave the trends to other photographers?  It's easy to spend time perusing photography websites to compare styles, prices and methods.  I think it's harder to stay firm to your own virtues in a time when anyone and everyone can pick up a camera and "be a photographer."  Where is the difference?  Is it the education, is it the equipment, is it a state of mind?  I know one thing:  I love photography.  I love capturing moments-- all moments (not just the ones when there's a big smile planted on the subject's face).   Take for instance our son.  He has his own share of smiles and jokes-- just not when he's in front of my camera or studying karate.  Therefore, my husband's comment of "but he's not smiling" just isn't the point.  The following photos represent our son fairly.  This is who he is a good portion of the time and especially when he's doing karate.  The last photo of the session I did get him to 'give' me a smile ("for mom, please?!").  For the previous ones, he assured me that "you're not supposed to smile when you're doing karate-- you're supposed to be focused."  You know, I think I'm going to listen to the wisdom of his words......focused, yes, that is exactly what I need to remember.  When he is in a room full of other students practicing, he is focused on his karate.  When I am in a world of other photographers, I need to be focused on my photography.  Thanks, buddy!












No comments:

Post a Comment