Tuesday, April 14, 2015

4-13, Natural Light Portrait

I have a beautiful friend who is an online professor at a northeastern university.  She was gracious enough to allow me into her office for my next photo project assignment:  an indoor, natural light image.  The best light to work with indoors is a north-facing window.  The second best options are a western facing window in the morning or an eastern facing window in the afternoon.  I'd say I was pretty fortunate that Joanna's office window faces west and we had scheduled a morning session!  The light in the room was a little darker than I had anticipated, but with the assistance of two reflectors I was able to bounce the light coming through the window back onto Joanna's face.  It yielded a very soft warm light that filled in the shadows-- especially in the poses where she faced the computer and had her back to the window.  Natural light photography has never been my thing.  I know many photographers who focus on natural light and shy away from artificial lights.  I don't fit into this category, so being restricted by the parameters of the assignment forced me to shoot in a new way (have speed light, will travel!).  Thank you, Joanna, for the time you granted me this morning to work on this portion of my project.  If only all Monday mornings could be so pleasant!   






No comments:

Post a Comment