Friday, August 8, 2014

7-7, Puget Sound Sunset

I discovered something about myself while I was shooting 300+ images of sunsets over the waters of Puget Sound:  I don't particularly like shooting sunsets.  I was not inspired, I was not motivated, and I was keenly aware that if I looked at the sun through my viewfinder I would blind myself.  After the fact, I'm overwhelmed with the editing options.  I've always been naturally inclined to photograph scenes as they are and not edit them into something they were not.  However, with sunsets, I believe most images you see have been edited to the point of creating an entirely new image hardly recognizable from the scene that was photographed.  So, I've spent my share of time in PS editing these images trying to find the balance between the authentic scene I was capturing and the punch necessary for sunset shots.  The final truth comes down to this: the next time I want to see a beautiful sunset, I'll grab a glass of wine instead of my camera.  I'll leave sunsets (at least for now) to the next guy!







No comments:

Post a Comment