Saturday, June 16, 2012

6-16, Camping in Colorado

I know, it's been quiet on the 'Finding Focus' blogfront.  And although my posts are spreading thin, I do believe I'm slowly achieving my goal of -- you guessed it-- finding MY focus.  I knew things would start to settle into place if I could just take a step back, let the chips fall where they may and not force them.  I'd really been struggling with the concept of my business.  How much do I want it?  How much time am I willing to commit to it?  How much time do I really have to commit to it?  Is my motivation for the money or personal satisfaction?  Family first or a balance of both?  These questions have weighed heavily on my mind.  And what I am discovering the answer to be...... a place and time for everything.  In Washington, where I began my business, my photo cards and the farmers market were my outlet.  My husband was deployed, our son was quite young, and As Eye See It gave me a link to the community.  In Maryland, my husband was home and our son was in grade school.  I had more time on my hands and the desire to broaden my photography skills.  I dove into children's portraits and acquired more than experience, I acquired friends.  This endeavor filled a place in my mind and in my heart that was just what I needed and when I needed it.  And now, in Colorado, I have decided that it is ok to be a photographer whose priority is capturing memories for my own family instead of for others.  I have enjoyed getting up close and personal with all that Colorado has to offer.  I have rekindled my love of nature photography.  I have taken very few photos of people and when I do they are of my own family.  In the beginning, I struggled with this, I felt like I was sliding back down the hill of progress rather than climbing up it.  But in this, too, I have discovered that it's not the destination but the journey.  My here and now is my family.  See, next month, we are bringing a little one into our family.  We didn't have the typical 9-month wait, our wait was 6 years.  It has taken 6 years for this to be the right time and place for our little girl from China to join our family.  The adoption journey has been a lot like my photographic journey.  It's been filled with hopes, doubts, skepticism, optimism, you name it.  Nothing ever seemed to be where I thought it should be at the time I wanted it to be.  And now I see-- that's ok.  There is a time and place for everything.  So while I am not pursuing my photography skills professionally at this time, it's ok for me to enjoy and pursue them personally.  I don't pretend to know when the tide will turn and things will again change, but I have vowed to take that step back and let things present themselves as they may.  I can hear my beloved Grandmother's voice in my head, "Oh, be still, Tara, be still....".  What wonderful advice.


"Hancock View"

"Alpine Flower"

"Red Cactus Bloom"

"Cottonwood Lake"

"Cottonwood Pass North"

"Cottonwood Pass West"

"Cottonwood Pass Northwest"

"Cottonwood Pass Northeast"


1 comment:

  1. You are such an inspiration. Your insight is incredible. Thank you for sharing your journey. I always enjoy your photos. Enjoy the family photos...they mean so much.
    ~Tami Muscha

    ReplyDelete