Wednesday, April 25, 2012

4-25, Lilacs

I love lilacs.  They were my first favorite flower.  We had a giant, deep-purple lilac bush at the end of our driveway of my childhood home.  I loved to stand by it and admire the beautiful blossoms and wonderful fragrance.  When my husband and I were house-hunting for our first home (years ago!!), I told him I wanted to have a lilac bush.  We planted one but got restationed before it had a chance to grow too much.  Each time we moved, I revoiced my request:  I want a lilac!!  House #2- no.  House #3- no.  House #4- BINGO!  I wasn't fond of the giant bush that had overtaken a corner of our yard by the back deck UNTIL the spring came.  My husband said, "I think that might be a lilac bush".  My reaction?  "Don't tease me!".  Sure enough, as the blossoms began to grow, I was astonished at my good fortune of that 'big, ugly bush' being the very one I had been longing for for the past 14 years.  I was delighted!  While the hue may not be the rich shade that evokes the wonderful memories of my childhood, maybe this lighter variety will do just that for my own kids in years to come.  I love looking out my kitchen window and admiring this wonderful, aromatic flower.  If only I could attach a scent to these photos......

"Lone Lilac"

"Lilac Cluster"






 As Eye See It - Flower Album

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for sharing! I too grew up with lilac bushes and miss them oh so much. They do not grow down here and there is no flower in the south that even comes close to the wonderful scent of a lilac.

    ReplyDelete