Thursday, December 1, 2016

11-25, Extended Love

This session had been months in the making.  "I might get everyone here for Thanksgiving!  Could we engage your photographic services?!"...."Absolutely!" I eagerly replied.  I love this family.  I had the privilege of photographing them two Thanksgivings ago, and this year other members of the family would be joining them.  We both anticipated the session with mutual excitement.  Holiday sessions just bring out the 'shiny' in everyone and I really enjoy them.  But then, the bottom dropped out of my world and I learned on Thanksgiving day that my last remaining grandparent had passed away.  Our session was scheduled for the following afternoon.  This sweet family insisted that maybe we should cancel the session.  My response?  "Oh heck no!"  You see?  I do this for the love of capturing these families.  I do this to create a moment in time for them that they can always keep no matter what unknown circumstances may present themselves in the future.   I do this to step out of my world and into theirs, even if only for a brief period of time.   I needed this session as much, if not more, than they did.   I thought of the final family self-portrait I made with my family and grandma over the summer and how much I cherish that final image and time with her.  There was no way I was going to take this opportunity away from this family.  As the family pulled up in groups to our location, Mimi and Grandpa corralled the kids into the back of the truck-- a confined 'holding area' for kids, so to speak, so I could get set up without interruption.  As I turned around to grab my gear, I looked up and saw the sweet, smiling faces of these boys.  I knew in a moment that I had made the right decision.  I knew that from up above, my grandma was smiling down on this scene with joy for the eternal love she has for children and families.   I enjoyed the session immensely and was so thankful for the brief reprieve of grief that it provided.  I was so thankful to be given the opportunity to provide these memories for this family.  I am thankful for this family.  Thank you for allowing me to do this for you and for me!












No comments:

Post a Comment