Sunday, May 31, 2015

5-23, Deckers, CO

Photography's been first and foremost in my thoughts lately.  How can I become a better photographer?  How can I capture the scenes before me more creatively?  What technical settings and functions will bring more depth to my work?  I've been listening to a lot of podcasts, reading a lot of informative articles and keeping my eyes open to the play of light and shadow as I traverse my day.  On a recent trip with my family to Deckers, CO, I focused on  photographing differently than I normally do.  I tried different camera angles, particularly lower to the ground.  I slowed my shutter speed down, WAY down, to yield the flow of the swift waters of the South Platte River.  I didn't take any award-winning photographs during the adventure, but I did force myself to 'think outside the box' which I hope will enhance my skills to the point that I will be making those award-winning photos someday.  My favorite images, worthy of mentioning, are the contrasting ones of my son fishing.  In the first image, the waters are smoothly flowing around him thanks to a slow shutter speed (1/2 second).  In the second image, I increased the shutter speed to 1/320 second and the water appears brisk and choppy due to the faster shutter speed.  My take away from this for you?  Experiment-- try different things.  Learn your camera-- explore its many functions  Even when the day is dull and dreary, as this day began, utilize the soft, even light that the clouds provide.  Every day can be a photography day!


Shutter Speed:  1/2 second
Shutter Speed:  1/320 second

Ok, I have to admit-- the entire day wasn't dreary.  The sun broke through the clouds in the afternoon and it was a completely different landscape.  In effect, I had two photographic adventures and not just one thanks to the changing skies.



What a place for a pay phone, right?!


No comments:

Post a Comment